Monday, June 21, 2010

Saturday at the French Embassy

So, on Saturday I attended FĂȘte de la Musique, a world music festival, at the French Embassy. It was so much fun....once I got there. The embassy is located in Georgetown, which does not have a direct metro stop to it. So, after I got off the metro I had to make a 2 mile hike to the embassy. It was enjoyable, however after having run 2.5 miles that morning 2 more miles was a bit much...especially because half of it was up hill. But, the scenery was nice. It reminded me of Adams Morgan because there were so many refurbished row houses, but Georgetown is definitely a bit swankier. After an hour of walking, I finally arrived. There were five "stages" set up around the courtyard, and lots of wine, European beer, food, pastries, and music to be had. I had to buy $20 worth of tickets, but out of that I got French bbq (sausage on a French bread bun YUMMY!), pasta salad, two beers, and a pastry. Here is a picture of my yummy strawberry tart pastry thing that I got...ohhh so good.


While I was there, I listened to a large variety of music; jazz, blues, country, and even an all women reggae-samba style percussion group called Batala (see picture below).

The Batala performance was probably my favorite, and to tell you the truth I realllllly want to join it. The music was awesome, and the performance was choreographed. It reminded me of my belly dancing days. The below picture is of a group called "The Only Two", but I guess they threw in a third for this performance. They played a more Bob Dylan style of music.


After a good 3.5 hours at the embassy, I decided it was time to head back, downhill this time, to the metro station. This walk back was nicer for many reasons: it was downhill; the sun was down; I talked to my parents the whole walk home. I'll definitely be looking for more embassy shindigs like that! But maybe ones that are a closer walk to a metro.

No comments:

Post a Comment