Monday, June 21, 2010

The Texas State Society Father's Day Picnic

All of us interns were invited to intern at the TSS's Father's Day Picnic. They would provide us with some much needed bbq, blue bell, and shiner, so of course all of us said yes. The picnic was in fact fun, and I met some more awesome people there (they invited my room mate and I out with them to H street this weekend, so look out for that post), but they failed to inform just how long it would take to get to the place where it was held at. My room mate and I headed out on our journey at around 11 AM Sunday morning. The metro runs slower on the weekends so we had to wait about 15 minutes for a blue line, then we had to wait another 15 minutes to transfer to the red line after a 20 minute ride. So, we finally get on the red line but we have to ride that to the end of the line, about 15 stops. Awesome. And the red line is having construction work done on it, so more delays. Double Awesome. 45 minutes later we get off the red line and head to where the shuttle bus should be awaiting us. Apparently the shuttle picked up on the hour instead of every half hour, like we had assumed. So, after 35 minutes of waiting the shuttle picks us up and drives 30 minutes out to the Maryland countryside. In total it took 3 hours to get there. That is just a bit shorter than it takes for me to get from Pleasanton to College Station. But, I did get free bbq out of the deal (and Shiner) so I really can't complain too much. The best part was when the shuttle driver got lost and asked the bus load of Texans if we saw the turn he had to take. Seriously? I am really starting to miss Texas, right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment