Well it has been a while since my last post! Geez, the days keep going by faster and faster…next thing you know August 7 is going to be here and I will be heading back home! Well, here is a recap of the last 5 days:
Last week our internship coordinators from PPIP came up to D.C. to visit the interns, our workplaces, and do some other business around town and in the apartment (including move out the 2 tables and 8 chairs in our dining room!) They came to visit me and my workplaces on Thursday, and I’d have to say it was a pretty exemplary visit. I loved getting to tell them what I was up to, and just what the next interns were going to get a chance to participate in. I was just so excited to hear from my supervisor’s mouths just how happy they were with the work I have been doing this summer. I mean, I know that I am giving it my all, but it is nice for them to stroke the ego a bit J. Anywho, it was an afternoon of running between Commerce and NAM, but I think all in all the meetings went well! After that, I got to talk to Breanne and Heather before they left me (physically, at least) for the rest of the summer. If you are reading this, Breanne, Heather, it was great talking with you and I will come visit when I get back into town! After work, I met up with my roommate and we took our long awaited trip to the library to get our library cards. Whenever we arrived one of the librarians asked us if we were sisters…it was kind of funny, I guess we are starting to spend too much time together! Anyway, after 8 weeks in D.C. I finally have a library card, which I used to check out Capote, by Geral Clarke. It is the biography about Truman Capote that was made into the movie with Philip Seymour Hoffman. It is pretty good so far, my goal is to finish it by next Saturday…a pretty lofty goal considering my current reading history.
Friday was actually a fairly eventful day! It started out with the International Trade Forum at the NAM which, although interesting, continues to be the place where I make my to do lists for Friday through Monday. After the ITF I got back to work on my export analysis, and then I joined the rest of the Economic Affairs interns for lunch. We all ordered out from different places, but I went to this restaurant I hadn’t been to before called Devon and Blakely’s. It was absolutely delicious! They have so many soups and sandwiches and salads to choose from. All freshly made, and then ready for your vegetable additions. I ordered a HUGE chicken quesadilla, the tortilla’s diameter was about as long as my forearm…no joke. After we all got our food, then we went to sit outside in this plaza where free music is provided every day at lunch. Although the music was less than appealing, well it was more amateur beat poetry than music, the company was very nice and it was great to finally get outside for lunch.
When I got home, I received an invitation from one of the interns that I work with at Commerce to go out with some of his friends in Old Town Alexandria. Well, since Old Town is pretty much my new favorite spot, I couldn’t say no. So, I invited my roommate to join me in my excursion since she hadn’t been to Old Town yet. When we got there, my roomie and I ate at Hard Times CafĂ© (which you will remember as the awesome chili parlor from previous posts), and then went to check out a bluegrass bar before meeting my friend at a latin/middle eastern/salsa music bar. It was an interesting mix of cultures in that bar, but it produced a delightful atmosphere, plus the salsa music made me reminisce to the salsa dances back in College Station. Overall, it was a wonderful outing! Plus, it was nice to find out that he, and the rest of his friends live around the corner from me in Crystal City. Yay for new friends! Too, bad that this came 8 weeks too late!
On Saturday my roommate left me to attend a conference in Florida. Yes, she is getting paid to go to Florida for a WEEK! Totally jealous, but that is beside the point. So, I had to figure out what to do for the weekend. Well, first of all I got to work on my to do list that I so diligently wrote on Friday during the trade forum. I went to a coffee place to work on a scholarship application as well as the end of semester evaluation for my internship…I can’t believe that it is that time already! After that, my intern friend invited me to join him and his friends for sushi and then a movie. Sushi was delicious, and for the 5.50 I paid for my spicy tuna roll, I also got miso soup, some little chicken appetizer and a salad with my beloved peanut sauce. A great deal, if you ask me! After dinner, we went back to his place to watch Terminator: Salvation. Definitely a good movie, and it was fun watching it with people who share my humor of sarcastic commentary during movies…I mean sometimes the commentary is just necessary.
Sunday began as a very lazy day. I wanted to be ambitious and wake up at 8:30 to work out and then walk to the grocery store, but instead slept till 10:30, laid in bed till 11, lounged in my room until 12 and by then my intern friend invited me to hang out at the pool at his apartment. So, finally I got dressed…although in a bathing suit…and walked over to his pool, which was absolutely huge! Definitely the largest pool I have ever seen at an apartment complex. We hung out there for about 2 hours and then I made my leave so that I could be *gasp* productive. So, I got dressed in real clothes and made my way over to the grocery store for my LAST batch of groceries…hopefully. I’m thinking there may be one more batch…but if I ration it appropriately maybe not! The walk over there was delightful, however on the way back, carrying 30-40 pounds of groceries definitely took its toll on my arms. Oh well, at least it made up for me being too lazy to work out in the morning! After I got back to the apartment, and caught my breath, I started doing my LAST loads of laundry! Well, there might be one more vanity load, but that’s only if I absolutely MUST put together a particular outfit…which will most likely happen. I mean, I must go out with a stylistic bang on my last day! The rest of the evening was fairly productive, but I was sad to see it go by so fast. Only 2 more weekends here, and then I am gone!
Today turned out to be a long day and frustrating day, which I won’t get into details of, and it was the first time I felt like I just wanted to jump on a plane and fly home. Better now than 5 weeks ago! But, it will all be better, and hopefully more cooperative, tomorrow. After that long day at work, I went to the National Theater to watch My Girl Friday starring the wonderful Cary Grant! I hadn’t seen that movie all the way through until today, and it was wonderful! Although I was kind of disappointed at the ending because Cary Grant’s character did not seem to change from what he was at the beginning and he tricked the girl into falling in love with him again, it was still a very funny and very good movie. I guess things like that in the story line are little glimpses into the 1940’s way of looking at things. After the movie, I took a detour and took a nice long stroll to the metro station through the National Mall. I’ll only get to do that for three more weeks, better savor it while I can! Countdown: 18 days!
No comments:
Post a Comment